CNC Swiss Screw Machining
CNC Swiss screw machining is a superb method for creating precision parts. CNC Swiss turning machines have a sliding headstock that operates with a guide bushing, which provides excellent stability for the bar stock while complex slots, holes, threads and multiple diameters are machined into the workpiece. CNC (computer numerical controls) allow our Swiss turning equipment to be highly automated, providing consistent, precise parts at tight tolerances from the first component off the machine to the final production unit.
Producing high quality and extremely precise parts is critical for industries such as aerospace, electronics, firearms, automotive, hydraulics, and medical. CNC Swiss machining offers many benefits and is ideal for applications where the following requirements exist:
- When high quality finishes are needed. High quality finishes are achieved with CNC Swiss machining (up to 32Ra is easily possible depending on the part geometry and material), reducing the need for secondary finishing operations.
- When conserving costs for large quantities. CNC Swiss machining is highly cost-efficient for quantities over 1,000 units, with costs dropping further at higher volumes.
- When parts need milled and turned features. CNC Swiss machining allows for many milled features (flats, hex edges, slots, etc) to be produced during the turning process without the need for multiple setups on additional equipment, providing greater production efficiencies with one process.
- When high volume and high precision is critical. The skill of CNC Swiss machine operators combined with the speed and accuracy of the turning process provides exceptional lead times for complex turned parts.
- When smaller, more complex parts are needed. In CNC Swiss machining, complex geometry is possible on even the smallest diameter components.
- When you need your components turned quickly. With the addition of CNC to Swiss equipment, turned parts can be produced with significantly shorter lead times.
Swiss Turned Components
Swiss CNC screw machining enables high volume production of extremely precise turned parts. Final machine parts are extremely accurate and conform to the strictest of tolerances. The most common run volume ranges from 10-250,00 pieces. Many aerospace orders are much smaller in size, and many automotive orders are much higher volume. CNC Swiss machining can quickly be applied to a wide range of volumes.
Swiss machined parts can be created using a variety of materials, including aluminum, brass, stainless steel, bronze, carbon steel, copper, nickel, thermoplastic, and titanium. CNC Swiss turned components offer the following features:
- Complex geometries
- Fine surface finishes
- Tight tolerances maintained without secondary processing
- Works well across a broad spectrum of materials
- Often able to go directly to plating operations without additional surface finishing required in between (coatings such as nickel plated, chrome plated, silver plated, tin plated, gold plated, or any specialized coating specified by the customer)
- Unparalleled precision with extremely tight tolerances
- High repeatability